Q& A good: THE COLLEGE PREP PROCESS Last week, I was a new guest with #CollegeCash chitchat on Forums discussing higher education preparation the online resources that are available for parents and trainees. Since never everyone can attend these shows or will be active on Twits, I thought it becomes nice to share the concerns and info here on this blog.
Question: When do mother and father start the college prep procedure?
- Ideally make sure you start discussing with your college about the associated with an education right after they start classes and amp it up on middle the school.
- 9th score students must pay close attention to tutorial selection searching for AP is in classes, figures and scientific disciplines.
- 9th graders should also begin looking for that 1 extracurricular pastime to concentrate on on high school.
Question: What do there is as the parent’s role during the college cooking process?
- Mother and father should let the student ‘drive the car’ but complement as a passenger/guide
- Parents can assist with company and gentle ticklers regarding deadlines
- Parents really need to be there with regard to advice, support and questions but do take control of the method
Question: Everything that online resources do you advocate for contrasting colleges side-by-side?
- I love Zinch because you can build a profile, compare and contrast colleges to get matched w/colleges and grants http://www.zinch.com
- You should use the College Board’s tool to match colleges at the same time http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/index.jsp
- Some are more sites will be: http://www.collegeview.com/index.jsp & http://www.collegexpress.com/ & http://www.cappex.com & http://www.collegeconfidential.com
Subject: What on the net tools do not you recommend regarding test prep?
- For words prep, @sheldonwordnerd has the TOP online program available http://www.word-nerd.com
- Practice tests are important so reap the benefits of them on the internet here http://sat.collegeboard.org/practice & http://www.number2.com/ & http://www.actstudent.org/testprep/index.html
- Read their blogs & follow with Twitter: @elizabethonline @akilbello@sheldonwordnerd @preppedpolished @PWNtheSAT@staceyhowelott
Dilemma: What on line tools equipment recommend regarding financial aid?
- Typically the definitive site for school loans info is usually http://www.finaid.org/
- Obviously ALL mom and dad should comprehensive the FAFSA http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ to be approved for grants
- Saving for Higher education provides parents with all the information on financial aid http://www.savingforcollege.com/ & allow you to compare financial savings plans
Issue: What onlineessayshelp.com online learning resources do you highly recommend for faculty visit processing?
- Visit institution websites and keep an eye out for video visits and information in connection with each individual higher education
- @collegevisit seems to have all the resources you need to strategy, organize together with prepare for institution visits http://www.smartcollegevisit.com
- Before the pay a visit to you can check away @YOUniversity is the reason virtual college or university tours and also hear from individuals http://www.youniversitytv.com/
Thought: What on the net tools would you recommend to assist with the dissertation?
- @vcollegeadvisor has its great dissertation tips suggests video http://www.youtube.com/user/PreCollegeCoach#p/a/u/0/Ago6tIEnL0g
- @collegebasics presents some good some tips on different composition topics http://www.collegebasics.com/applying-to-college/admissions-essays/
- @butwait the pocket go editor involving 13 strategies https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=ah89knd3kmzc_469cq94ghdq
- If you’re looking for some actual college student essay experiences, look at this point http://www.teenink.com/college_guide/college_essays/
Issue: Where can you find information regarding individual institution statistics?
- I favor College Navigator because it’s not hard to view figures and compare http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
- Great resource for studies and more is definitely CollegeData http://www.collegedata.com/
- The College Panel also offers a power tool to research institution information http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/index.jsp
Question: What exactly information can you share with regards to the Net Price tag Calculator?
- The internet price calculators were decided to help mother and father and scholars estimate the exact cost of college BEFORE applying
- Not all calculators are created similar; use them as the tool nevertheless don’t count on 100% finely-detailed on value estimates
- Universities are required to wear them their online sites but they are commonly hard to find; you have got to do certain digging
Subject: How can mothers and fathers be assured these are getting SPECIALIST advice regarding college and not being cheated?
- I written a site recently concerning this topic https://www.parentingforcollege.com/2011/11/07/parents-beware-its-a-jungle-out-there/
- Some key points: investigate virtually all claims making use of Google; question them working with social media; draught beer associated w/other experts?
- Don’t think claims except in cases where backed up having facts in case it’s likewise good being true, it all usually is definitely
EARLY COLLEGE PREPARATION TAKES CARE OF
I go through two content articles and a report today the fact that underscored the significance of starting the school preparation progression early:
Math within preschool
Can be 6th class the key in order to ending often the dropout critical?
The Forgotten Middle (A College Motivation Report)
While I don’t advocate pressuring students within grade classes about university or adding undue anxiety related to institution preparation, there are many things that moms and dads can do to guarantee their students are prepared as soon as the college decision-making time jobs around. I’ll share with you suggestions:
- Encourage your university student to read, study and read through a strong language that you can just get from examining will reward them all through high school along with into college; not to mention will help you with SAT/ACT testing in addition to essay processing.
- Make sure your school’s math and knowledge programs are up-to-par and that your student participates which has a strong attention in both themes these programs are crucial for your student’s very important thinking capacity and their achievements with complicated college resume.
- Train your scholar to set pursuits and comply with steps to get them for those who start first, you are looking for your college to be successful with high school, college and in life.
- Previously entering secondary school, have a discuss with your teen in regards to the importance of qualities and educational success across the next nearly four years their grades are certainly more than just text letters on a piece of paper; they will see how colleges look at them and also the amount of advantage aid they receive. Sturdy academic performance = classes and scholarship grants.
- Support your pupil find this passion some sort of nonacademic activity/hobby/interest to carry on with, grow along with excel all over school and even beyond. This is often fun, communal and ego-building, and educational facilities want to see this unique, too. (Thanks to Wendy at POCSMomfor this added tip! )
These types of may seem like simple or maybe obvious guidelines, but these couple of suggestions, if followed, will be able to put your company student in relation to college willingness and even institution success. Favourable proactive child-rearing can participate in a huge purpose in the college admissions progression.